How to make tajine?
There are numerous combinations of ingredients in tajines made by different chefs, in many regions in Morocco. Even tajine made by the same person tastes different every day.
There are some basics, which, when followed, guarantee a delicious dinner. First one is tajine – the dish itself. Second is a good foundation – good quality vegetables and oil. Here we are showing a traditional nomadic way of preparing this delicious meal.
Ingredients for vegetarian tajine for 2 people:
- 1 big onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 small courgette
- 10-15 green olives
- fresh garlic
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tomatoes
- small can of green peas
- fresh leaves of coriander
How to make tajine
1. Cut an onion and spread the pieces evenly in a tajine, add some olive oil
2. Add potatoes sliced about 0,5 cm thin
3. Cut carrot and courgette into sticks and put on potatoes
4. Chop garlic into small slices and place it all over tajine
5. Add tomato slices and green peas on top
6. Sprinkle with a little bit more olive oil
7. Add spices and fresh coriander on top
8. Cover tajine, put it on a small fire. Aromatic tajine will be ready in about 30-40 minutes. You might check in about half of this time if it’s not getting dry, and if it happens so – water it a little.